Welcome!

This blog is dedicated to my parents, brothers, sister, and cousins who are descendants of Johannes (John) Gutke and Johanna Mork Gutke (pictured above). I am in the process of posting everything I have, so that I can back up documents/photos and also access the info from any location. There are likely to be mistakes, so check back often and feel free to comment if you have corrections!

Sincerely,

Deniane Gutke Kartchner

Denianek@gmail.com


Grandpa's First Wife, Beatrice Lenora Oleson


The above photo is of Clyde Gutke's first wife, Beatrice Oleson, with her sister, Bonnie (seated on the motorcycle.) When we hear Dad (Dennis) talk about Bonnie and Johnny, they are Beatrice's sister and brother-in-law. Dennis spent quite a bit of time with them when he was growing up.

Clyde and Beatrice were married for a year and a half before she died. They were married 13 August 1927 in Midvale, Utah, and she died on 13 February 13, 1929. Beatrice's death is listed on the death certificate as "tubercular meningitis." The doctor certifies that he had been attending her since 15 Jan, 1929, so she was really sick for about four weeks. They were living at 1456 So. State.

The fact that Grandpa had been married concerned Grandma (Gladys Monson Gutke) when they were dating. She said, "I met Clyde when I was nineteen. I was on a date with this one guy, and Clyde was on a date with someone else ... After that, he asked me out. Later I found out he had been married, and oh, then I didn't want to have anything to do with him. His wife had died, right shortly after they were married, of a brain tumor. That discouraged me, you know, and I didn't know if I could go with him for quite awhile. And then he called me up again, and we went out a second time, and another time..."

Clyde was almost ten years older than Gladys. They married in1934. According to the dates of Beatrice's death until the time Clyde and Gladys were married, Grandpa waited six years to remarry. Clyde and Gladys were married 46 years until Clyde died in 1980.

Clyde maintained his good relationship with Beatrice's parents and her younger sister, Bonnie. Her parents were Emil and Anna Oleson.


No comments:

Post a Comment